As summer approaches, the school year comes to an end, and life takes staff away from the office, so you need to be prepared to keep your business running. No matter if it is for a day or a few months, being able to stay in touch while away from the office is becoming more essential in business than ever before. Whether you are the owner or a sales team member, in the office, at home, or on the road, having your computer at your fingertips is an invaluable resource.
What is Remote Access?
Remote access refers to the ability to log on from a remote machine or device and use an application or service as if you’re sitting in front of your computer.
In terms of IT, remote access is important because it allows users to work from anywhere. This means they can work with reduced latency and no travel time. They may also be able to take advantage of a more cost-efficient infrastructure and potentially lower IT costs through remote access.
The importance of remote access has increased over time as we’ve seen the move towards digitization and cloud computing, but its convenience, security, and functionality rely on implementing the appropriate remote access best practices in your work environment.
Best Practices make for the Best Remote Access Experience
The best remote access experience that you can have is one that is not only easy but also seamless. Best practices for a successful remote access experience are essential when it comes to providing a smooth, collaborative, and productive workflow. To ensure that your users are having the best possible experience with you in-person or online, here are some tips:
Secure your remote setup as much as possible
Securing your IT infrastructure is a must, particularly when you intend on using remote access. Some easy ways to make sure your remote setup is as secure as it can be:
- Only allow managed devices to connect to your network that have:
- Enabled encryption
- Antivirus protection and a firewall
- Up to date OS and software that is supported by the vendor
- Disabled automatic login
- Enabled automatic lock
- “Find my device” and remote lock/wipe capabilities
- Provide information on security policies and measures when an unmanaged device is used
- Provide regular security awareness training for employees
- Set up VPNs
- Enable two-factor authentication
Protect your remote access environment
Your remote access environment has been securely set up, so now, it is necessary to patrol your environment to keep it safe and secure. To do this, you should:
- Delete or disable unused accounts
- Review user access permissions and rights
- Review and limit privileged access accounts
- Create roles and assign responsibilities for users
- Disable or remove unused network services
- Implement or update your policies, e.g., Group Policy, Password Policy, and Account Lockout Policy
- Follow auditing best practices
- Conduct security risk assessments
- Keep employees informed and up to date with all policies at all times
How can remote access benefit your business?
The idea of remote access may be new to some, but it is not a novel concept in the business world. Companies have been using this strategy for years to make their operations better, more efficient, and cost-effective. Here’s how:
- Remote workers can save employers costs on travel and office space.
- Employees can have constant, up-to-date access to details of their company’s products, services, and inventory.
- Branch offices or remote workers can be in contact with the head office.
- The reporting and collating of information can be quicker, making a business more responsive to its customers and enabling it to generate more sales.
- You can access your office computer from the beach, on vacation, or in a coffee shop. This can save you time and money with commutes to and from the office for small items.
Change the way you do business
With remote access, companies can manage their business more efficiently, which leads them to be more competitive in the market and changes the way they operate for the better. And Technology Solutions can help. Contact their expert team today to unlock more of your business potential.